In another time, in the same place, this area was ideal to get away from the bustle and business of Los Angeles city life. This post profiles some of the residents.
|Leahy's water wheel, ca. 1907|
(Courtesy of the Seaver Center for Western History Research, GPF.1104)
Land of Opportunity for Leahy
Not before long, the youngster even registered a cattle brand in 1854, which meant he had to have at least 150 head of the livestock (the minimum number required to obtain a brand - if L.A. was still following Spanish tradition).
|Leahy's brand sample recorded at the County Recorder's Office, October, 1854|
(Courtesy of the Seaver Center GC-1279-47-218)
|(Courtesy of the Seaver Center P-010-145)|
|This image of the adjacent house appears to have been taken at a different time, as the vegetation around the house is rather sparse compared to the previous photo (Courtesy of the Seaver Center P-010-145 A)|
|(Courtesy of the Seaver Center P-010-145 C)|
|(Courtesy of the Seaver Center for Western History Research P-010-145 B)|
By the time the photos were taken, including the water wheel, the unidentified photographer was well aware that an era was coming to a close - manufacturing was growing. A son of Leahy built Leahy Manufacturing nearby. By 1907, the cracker and confection company, Bishop, bought the land from the widow, Caroline Leahy. Bishop had large plans for developing the acreage into the "largest factory in America for Los Angeles." Read more in the Los Angeles Downtown News article.
|Leahy home and fields (Courtesy of the Seaver Center - |
"Reproduction of Thompson & West's History of Los Angeles County")
Antonio Coronel, a Neighbor
A prominent neighbor of the Leahy's was Antonio Franco Coronel and his wife Mariana Williamson Coronel. Coronel formerly held the offices of city mayor, county assessor and state treasurer. He came to Los Angeles from San Blas, Mexico by ship in 1834 with his parents and siblings.
Coronel's tract lay west of Alameda, between 7th & 8th Streets.
|Antonio Coronel Home at 7th & Alameda Streets (Courtesy of the Seaver Center - "Reproduction of Thompson & West's History of Los Angeles County")|
|(Courtesy of the Seaver Center GPF.1003)|
Along the southwest side of 8th & Alameda were the McGarry's. Daniel M. McGarry (1842-1903) from Loughgiel, Antrim, Ireland, arrived in L.A. in 1881 by way of Chicago. He also served on the city's Common Council for a couple of terms not long after he bought his ranch. By the real estate boom of 1886-1888, he was up for subdividing. Today, McGarry Street remains.
|(Courtesy of the Seaver Center GC-1310-2863)|