Developer Prudent Beaudry (French-Canadian, former L.A. City Mayor) named a street "Bunker Hill Avenue" in 1874 to commemorate the upcoming centennial of the Revolutionary War battle. The area was referred to as Beaudry Highlands or Olive Street Hill, but the Bunker Hill name stuck.
By the late 1890s, the area became an emblem of urban blight characterized by a changed residential make-up from affluent mansions to transient boarding houses. As early as 1912 proposals were made to drastically alter the residential neighborhoods on the hill.
Today, a city sign promotes the history of the erased neighborhood.
|Photographers at the corner of Spring and First Streets.|
Several blocks northwest of Spring and First is the equally photogenic Bunker Hill. Shown are views of two current occupants:
|A south wall of the Museum of Contemporary Art from Grand Avenue|
|Pictured here is the sleek facade of the Colburn School, next door to MOCA|
Down the southern slope of Bunker Hill at Fourth and Olive Streets there is a nearly 110 year-old limestone wall once a part of the Fremont Hotel that opened October 1, 1902.
|The wall from the hotel that once sat here on the west side of Olive, just south of Fourth Street|
|A shot of the wall from its opposite side, covered with late 20th century concrete|
|The hotel opened in October 1, 1902 and was located at 401 So. Olive Street|