Sunday, March 14, 2021

Tyrus and Milton: An Animated Friendship

Tyrus Wong and Milton Quon, two L.A. gentlemen whom I have previously featured in several posts:

Chinese American Artists Working in Los Angeles

Pacific Standard Time Marches On

The Official Milton Quon Fan Club

Hiroshima and Tyrus Wong

Happy 104th Birthday Milton!


I knew they were friends.  I knew they had a lot in common which included being employed as Disney animation artists early in each of their successful and multi-faceted careers.  

But I did not realize the depth of their friendship until Pamela Tom, filmmaker of Finding Home, and Tyrus, wrote to me with the following:

Milton:  I first met Tyrus at the Chinese Congregational Church when he was courting Ruth Kim. She was singing in the choir and practicing and he and I sat in the last row of the pew. I happened to sit next to him, and I knew about him being a great artist. While the rehearsal was going on, I noticed that Tyrus was drawing on brown wrapping paper, drawing monkeys. I think at that time he already had a scholarship to Otis Art Institute. I remember he was a very sporty dresser and he had this nice sport coupe out in front of the church on 9th place near San Pedro Street.

Tyrus is a very, very…he’s very funny. He breaks me up. I remember at Bill Jong’s New Year party this year January 31st he just had me in stitches. I had to hold my stomach. I don't know what he does, but he just breaks me up.

I just love the guy. Every time we get together he breaks me up.

Photo courtesy of Pamela Tom

Pamela expressed that this photograph "captures their relationship in ways words cannot. It was taken at a joint fundraiser event for my film/celebration of Tyrus's 98th birthday. Milton and Tyrus had an incredibly special and enduring relationship. Their faces lit up whenever they saw each other. They were like two kids. They had so much mutual respect and love for each other."



2 comments: